Of Magnets and Parmesan

This time around was easy: I mailed the book I’d borrowed from The European back to his house, pushed the magnets he’d given me to the side of the fridge and called a plumber.

This is either where they filmed Adelle's "Rolling in the Deep" or its my living room.  I'll let you decide.

This is either where they filmed Adelle’s “Rolling in the Deep” or its my living room. I’ll let you decide.

Calling a plumber isn’t part of my usual break up procedure, mind you, but now that I’m a homeowner, I’ve been forced to make a few adjustments to the customary wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I jest.

There was no wailing this time. No gnashing of teeth. There were a few tears, a few curses mumbled under my breath, but the latter were primarily related to the fact that I’d left an entire jar of shredded Parmesan cheese in his fridge and wanted it for my pasta.

I will also miss his toothbrush.

And his bed.

And his shower.

And the fact that his house didn’t have plaster falling from the ceiling.

And his cat.

And him, of course. But he never wanted to connect on Facebook, never left toiletries at my house, never even stayed the night or learned how I like my coffee. I, in turn, never had him over for dinner, never bothered to learn about his hobbies and never found a term of endearment that fit. I tried “sweetheart” once, and then “babe,” but it always felt like I was just flinging undercooked spaghetti at the wall: nothing stuck.

I have nothing else to say today except that I am fine. And that I’m going to take a bit of a break from my blog, not because of the breakup but because of El Salvador. And because I don’t want to spend the rest of my life living in a semi-decent house, writing a semi-decent blog about semi-decent subjects.

I need a makeover.  In so many ways.

Catch you on the flip side.

15 Responses to “Of Magnets and Parmesan”

1. becky119

Well I’m sad that the will be fewer/no more posts but it sounds like you are being super healthy about everything. Personally, I think that there is some much-needed sangria drinking that we should do. The knee still isn’t really better, but we should meet up anyway. 🙂 There’s always time for sangria.

• becky119

Omg, too funny. Our FAVORITE place to go out to eat is Adobe Cafe because there is one right around the corner from us. We ❤ Fiesta Night. You can't get a better deal that $35 for two entrees and a pitcher.

Do you know if there is an easy way to get there via public trans?

2. Jerseyite Lurker

Good luck finding what you’re looking for. Whatever you do, you should come back and let us know when the novel is published.

Oh don’t worry, I’ll be back eventually. I just need to figure out how this blog fits into what I really want to be doing, but as all authors need to have platform and most platforms need some sort of blog, I won’t be gone for long 🙂

3. Laurie

Rebirth always takes awhile. This is the perfect time to renovate inside and out. Enjoy the process! It’s exciting! I love your El Salvador posts! Your readers will wait patiently (or impatiently).

4. nala

If I send you an email to the email you have under “contact” do you actually see it, kinda wanted to say something without posting it here…✌️😄

5. casespace

Ah! I really want pasta now. I gathered a lot more from your blog post, but that really made an impact. lol

See you soon, love!

Hahah! It’s the important things the count 🙂 But yes, looking forward to drinks soon and swapping house stories. Glad we’re both finally in the owner phase and no longer the buyer phase…

6. Kris

Reblogged this on Love. Laughter. Life. Medicine. and commented:
    This gal is a fantastic writer. Perspective and the journey will always show us what we need to learn about ourselves. Huge props for being so open with the random strangers who come across this blog. Change is always difficult, but unhappiness is harder to endure.

Thanks for the shout out and for your kind words 🙂 And being open with random strangers does have its rewards (i.e. their support)!

7. annreichardt

I feel your pain in both the relationship loss and the blogging crazy Check out my beginning blogs on Love after divorce..My book The dance card outlines it in spades