How to Bedazzle Tap Shoes
I have a new system. A new how-to-avoid-murdering-my-loan-officer system to be precise.
(This morning I received an email requesting an “explanation of the non-employment deposit of $633.15” made into my bank account on April 8th. Non employment? Really? When a deposit of the same exact amount shows up every two weeks? My first thought was to go the Walter White route and tell them I’m cooking meth. My second thought was to tell them I’m a stripper and that I have some regular customers who tip me in nickels. Fortunately, I came to my senses and sent them a very polite email back instead explaining that yes actually, the deposit is employment related and to please let me know if they needed anything else. Like you know a sample of my DNA, my eventual first born child, and quite possible some hair follicles while we’re at it.)
But back to my new system.
It turns out that applying rhinestones to tap shoes with a pair of tweezers is actually quite therapeutic. Especially if you’ve got a few rom-coms lined up on Netflix.
And because it’s recital weekend for my kids in the suburbs, I decided to go all out:
The “before” picture
Do not attempt at home. Unless of course you masking tape over the taps, the sound board and the rubber pad on the bottom of the shoes. Some people also tape over the buckle but I like my buckles to match.
Also, stuff the shoes with newspaper to accommodate for less-than-precise spray painting. If using your dad’s garage to spray paint, it is best to do it while he is not home and to destroy the evidence. Blame any residue on bio-diesel. You know… that purple bio-diesel.
Acquire jewels. And paint. And glue. Preferably on ONE trip to the craft store and not several (which is why the glue is not present in this picture). Also, prepare to wait a very long time for the store employees to unlock the jewel case.
I forgot to take intermediate step pictures because I was heavily involved in a wedding movie marathon at this point but after spray painting, I added some hand-painted details to match the girls’ costumes, then outlined the details by gluing rhinestones around the edges.
Ta-da! Unfortunately I was using my camera phone to take pictures during dress rehearsal so everything came out really blurry but I’ll put some pictures up on Facebook after the recital on Saturday.